Publishing an NCAR Technical Note
The NCAR Technical Notes series provides a publishing outlet for a variety of documents that contribute in specialized ways to the body of scientific knowledge but that are not suitable for formal journal, monograph or book publication. NCAR Technical Notes require at least one author to be affiliated with NSF NCAR or UCP.
The NCAR Technical Notes Collection comprises over 500 scientific and technical reports, issued by NCAR divisions and programs. Some examples include:
- scientific and technical reports
- engineering, design, or development reports
- operating and maintenance manuals
- program progress reports
- proceedings documentation
About NCAR Technical Notes
NCAR Technical Notes are a way to disseminate concise and focused communication of technical information, outside the traditional journal publishing ecology.
- Speed - a more agile way to disseminate information compared to the often lengthy journal publication process.
- Flexibility - allows for more creative formats, accommodating a range of document types that may not align with traditional journal structures.
- Exposure - easily share with colleagues across the globe. All Technical Notes are assigned Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) to ensure persistent citability and accessibility.
- Collaboration - researchers can share technical insights that may benefit colleagues across different departments, labs, and external organizations.
1. The Library provides an application process.
a. Download the Technical Note Application below.
b. Email the completed document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. The Library will assign a DOI, and provide permanent hosting of the material.
The NCAR Library is happy to support the preparation and publication of new NCAR Technical Notes. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Technical Note Application
Updated Nov. 2, 2023 (288.96 KB)
(.pdf format) - Requirements, instructions, and an approval form that must be completed by the authors, their reviewers, and lab/program directors.